Saturday, January 08, 2005

They say the neon lights are bright.......

We've had to deal with plays inspired by the music of ABBA, Billy Joel, and now there is one about to open based upon the music of the Beach Boys?!!?!?!? Now I am aware that Musical-Broadway is not the exactly the summit of artistic creativity, but must we be subjected to shows with individuals frolicking and dancing to music that was last relevant when AM radio ruled the airwaves? I understand nostalgia, but there is also a gray are where nostalgia crosses over into campy self-indulgence and these shows tow that line quite precariously.

I've even had to deal with an American Idol reject, a former N'Sync member and a Spice Girl in my beloved Rent.

Someone please put a stop to this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I will take on the task of putting a stop to this!

I will begin protesting tomorrow in front of the TKTS booth in NYC. Watch the FOX news at 10, the 7th story that will be recited by Rosanna Scotto should be my segment.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They also have one about Elvis now. I agree, it has gone too far. Also, in production is a new on-woman Broadway smash, Paris Hilton lip-synching the music of Cindy Lauper.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home